Who is Central Stores:
Central Stores is a self-supporting department dedicated to providing value-added goods and services to the university and surrounding communities. Central Stores stocks over 5,000 unique items for campus and the State of Iowa. Central Stores serves as the main supply warehouse for items, such as, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), janitorial cleaning supplies, maintenance, repair and operations (MRO) and paper products. Central Stores utilizes Board of Regent procurement contracts and often sources items in bulk, sometimes full truck load (i.e. copy paper, toilet paper, etc.). Utilizing local and national contractions and sourcing in bulk helps lower the least-landed costs to our customers. Customers can visit Central Stores in person at the General Services Building, room 192 OR visit us online.
Central Stores COVID-19 responsibilities:
Central Stores is dedicated to providing COVID-19 related supplies to Iowa State University. Central Stores has been continually working with local and national vendors on securing essential cleaning and personal protection supplies. As an essential operation, Central Stores is receiving new supply, fulfilling orders and delivering product to campus daily. Please continue to visit our Central Stores catalog on the latest product offerings and availability.
Importance of utilizing Central Stores:
Why is it important for ISU departments to utilize Central Stores for supply items related to COVID-19? See our top 5 reasons to shop Central Stores below: · Everyone on campus is strongly encouraged to order cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer and face coverings through Central Stores.
While you may find what you need online or from a local retailer, here are five reasons why everyone benefits from purchasing centrally:
1. Power in numbers: Central Stores works closely with its vendors and can negotiate a better price when buying in bulk.
2. Avoid being scammed: Demand is creating opportunity for scammers selling fake items or not fulfilling orders. The university has seen an increase in fraud, which can be avoided by working with Central Stores.
3. In stock and same day delivery: Most COVID-19 supplies are on campus and on the shelf at Central Stores. All Central Stores orders qualify for free same day, next day or scheduled delivery to your desk, lab or specific job site. Make sure to note your specific delivery location and available delivery hours during the catalog checkout process.
4. Get the proper products: Environmental Health and Safety worked with Central Stores to ensure that available cleaning supplies are safe and effective for cleaning offices and labs. It is not necessary to buy name-brand products, and soap and water is a good alternative.
5. FEMA tracking simplified: Operations and Finance must track every purchase for FEMA reimbursement. Individual purchases increase the volume of reports and require multiple documents for reimbursement. Purchases through Central Stores reduce the amount of paperwork and are a more efficient use of time and resources for tracking.
View the latest Inside Iowa State article, explaining the important use of Central Stores. View article here.
Not just COVID-19 supplies:
Browse over 5,000 items in Central Stores online catalog. All items are competitively sourced and bid through local and national contracts and kept on campus for your convenience.Not in stock? Central Stores can special order any item using contracts to ensure all customers receive the lowest cost possible. For special order requests, call or email Bill Spratt: [email protected] OR 515-294-0402.