Who is Central Stores:
Central Stores is a self-supporting department dedicated to providing value-added goods and services to the university and surrounding communities. Central Stores stocks over 5,000 unique items for campus and the State of Iowa. Central Stores serves as the main supply warehouse for items, such as, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), janitorial cleaning supplies, maintenance, repair and operations (MRO) and paper products. Central Stores utilizes Board of Regent procurement contracts and often sources items in bulk, sometimes full truck load (i.e. copy paper, toilet paper, etc.). Utilizing local and national contractions and sourcing in bulk helps lower the least-landed costs to our customers. Customers can visit Central Stores in person at the General Services Building, room 192 OR visit us online.
Central Stores COVID-19 responsibilities:
Central Stores is dedicated to providing COVID-19 related supplies to Iowa State University. Central Stores has been continually working with local and national vendors on securing essential cleaning and personal protection supplies. As an essential operation, Central Stores is receiving new supply, fulfilling orders and delivering product to campus daily. Please continue to visit our Central Stores catalog on the latest product offerings and availability.
Importance of utilizing Central Stores:
Why is it important for ISU departments to utilize Central Stores for supply items related to COVID-19? See our top 5 reasons to shop Central Stores below: · Everyone on campus is strongly encouraged to order cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer and face coverings through Central Stores.
While you may find what you need online or from a local retailer, here are five reasons why everyone benefits from purchasing centrally:
1. Power in numbers: Central Stores works closely with its vendors and can negotiate a better price when buying in bulk.
2. Avoid being scammed: Demand is creating opportunity for scammers selling fake items or not fulfilling orders. The university has seen an increase in fraud, which can be avoided by working with Central Stores.
3. Patience will pay off: Supply chain issues continue to create challenges when ordering large quantities of some items. The problem is not unique to Iowa State, and we ask for your patience as it may take time to fulfil orders for hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes and N95 masks for research labs. The gradual return to campus will allow more time to secure these products.
4. Get the proper products: Environmental Health and Safety worked with Central Stores to ensure that available cleaning supplies are safe and effective for cleaning offices and labs. It is not necessary to buy name-brand products, and soap and water is a good alternative.
5. FEMA tracking simplified: Operations and Finance must track every purchase for FEMA reimbursement. Individual purchases increase the volume of reports and require multiple documents for reimbursement. Purchases through Central Stores reduce the amount of paperwork and are a more efficient use of time and resources for tracking.
View the latest Inside Iowa State article, explaining the important use of Central Stores. View article here.
Cloth Face Coverings (CFC):
Central Stores has teamed up with campus leadership in providing ISU with reusable cloth face coverings, at no charge. Find out more about the ISU provided cloth face coverings here. Central Stores also provides disposable face coverings and face shields, as well.